EnglishItaliano
Logo La Versilia
Inserisci la tua azienda

Lido di Camaiore

In the past, the city of Camaiore was an important agricultural and commercial centre, with a valuable historical and artistic patrimony.

Outstanding is the collegiate church of Santa Maria Assunta, in the beautiful central San Bernardino Piazza. The construction, in pure Toscan-Romanesque style, dates back to 1278, and was tampered within the subsequent centuries. Its current state is the result of more adjustments between the 16th and 18th centuries. Some recent restorations have restored the façade’s original sobriety and capanna (hut)-like shape of rustic stone block. The little rose windows with its ten rays is of particular interest.
The interior, in the form of a Latin cross, is divided intro three naves with lateral altars. In the church is a 16th century organ, unfortunately not in working order. The main altar of marble is the work of Gian Battista Stagi (1659), and is decorated with a title depiction of the Misteri del Rosario (Mysteries of the Rosary). Behind the presbytery is the choir, in wood, 17th century. In the right nave is painting by Marracci representing La Madonna del Carmine. In the left nave is an altarpiece by Dandini (17th century) representing L’Ultima Cena (the Last Supper). In the third altar to the left is a splendid 14th century wooden crucifix.
The Baptistery, located in one of the naves, contains an ancient Roman sarcophagus functioning as a baptismal font; another font, at the centre of the building, dates back to the 13th century. Next to the church is a tall bell-tower, circled by one-lighted openings and crowned by a small cupola, building 1350, above the left nave.

Adjacent to the church is the palazzo of Viacario.
Via della Muretta leads to the remains of the crenellated wall, of which the frescoed door of San Pietro and the Arco della Vergine are the two most significant sights.
The church of San Michele, located adjacently to the Confraternita (brotherhood) di San Michele, is a little gem of Romanesque art of the 21th century, destroyed in 1944, and then restored to its original from.
The Badia (Abbey) di San Pietro, established by the 12th century and shows sins of work form the 14th century.
Next to the façade, a powerful arch is all that remains of the crenellated 13th century walls. The interior, essentially Romanesque, is divided into three naves by square columns and round arches. The first row of columns to the left retain traces of frescoes form the School of Giotto.