EnglishItaliano
Logo La Versilia
Inserisci la tua azienda

Marina di Pietrasanta

All the monuments are located in Pietrasanta.
In Piazza del Duomo one faces all the main buildings of the town. At the centre is the marble mass of the Collegiate church of San Martino, known as the Duomo, build in 1330 on the site of a more ancient cult edifice.
In the tripartite marble façade, it is worth noting the beautiful rose window with rayed halo and in the three portals, relief work of the Pisan school.
The interior, divided into three naves, has underground some adaptation in 1639 and in 1821. It has an important collection of art, among which an hexagonal marble pulpit (1504), whose 17th century stairway is carved form a single block of marble.
There is the statue of l’Annunziata (Pisan School), and the bronze crucifix of the main altar (work of Ferdinando Tacca). Behind the altar is the 24 seat marble choir, work of Stagi and assistants, dated 1518. there are two paintings, by Rosselli and Dandini, on the altars of the transept, and the painted panel of La Madonna del Sole, late-Gothic and rarely displayed to the public.

The bell-tower, of brick, attributed to Benti, was never completed and still lacks the marble refinishings.
In the nearby Oratorio di San Giacinto, improperly called the Baptistery, a San Giacinto, improperly called the Baptistery, a hexagonal baptismal basin form 1389 is preserved.
On the same piazza, the Torre delle Ore (tower of the Hours) rises, built in 1530 and restored in 1860, and the Palazzo Moroni, an elegant 16thcentury building.
Next to this palazzo is the church of Sant’Agostino, of the 17th century.
The piazza is completed on the seaward side by the Rocchetta Arrighina, built in 1324 by Castruccio Castracani and connected with the ancient Pisan door, to only one surviving in the surrounding wall.

On the same piazza is the Teatro Comunale (Municipal Theatre), built by the aerostatics Academy in the 18th century.
The Marzocco fountain, commissioned by the Medicis for the city’s hydraulic requirements, is also noteworthy: according to tradition, whoever drink form it will return to Pietranta.
Near the fountain is the Column of Liberty, dated 1531, which supports the Marzocco, the armed Florentine lion.
Of great artistic and historical importance is the Rocca di Sala , the Lombardic fortress of polygonal design, restored by Castruccio Castracani.